As most people know, a tremendous amount of work goes into executing the perfect photo, especially when out on location for a shoot. The end result can look effortless, but getting to know the clients, sourcing the right backdrops and ensuring a story is unfolding before their very eyes takes time and planning.
Earlier this month on November 13, I got an opportunity to go in a slightly different direction with my photography when the suppliers from Perth Ultimate Wedding Giveaway created a modern, minimalist themed wedding at the Nedlands Yacht Club, right on the foreshore of the stunning Swan River and just eight kilometres from the centre of Perth.
I still had to ensure the lighting was perfect though, as well as get to know the suppliers and use my creativity to look at every angle possible in capturing the perfect images, and it was just an experience like no other working with everyone.
The location itself has made a name for itself with its delightful grassed areas and small inlet beaches, and it tied in perfectly with the textured greenery of the bridal florals, provided by Claire from House of Primrose. Claire was also the shoot’s stylist, and she had chosen a bouquet with just a touch of colour for the subtle effect. They were the perfect mix of fresh and dried flora, certainly a means to providing an ideal modernistic wedding style.
Model bride Bec Cooper wore a gown by Theressa Designs, with hair by Kim Aurelie and makeup by Black Lash. One look at the final result, and you’ll see how much these stylists really enjoy doing what they do. With the bride defining the fashion-forward movement, the striking detail on the gown embraced her soft curves and filled the overall look with grace, yet it also had a show-stopping back which worked as a statement piece.
The radiant makeup and flowing hairstyle gave the bride a soft yet fun look, and it was imperative I captured that essence. It wasn’t that hard though, because the overall styled shoot was just so impeccable and elegant, working with everyone was second nature.
The day was like modern simplicity and sophistication coming together in style, and I also got a chance to work with Jem Wedding Planners, who I thought would tie in flawlessly after deciding to include them in some images with the bride and groom (Matt), who wore a stately navy blue suit by Britton’s Formal Wear. Showcasing these images really brings together the idea of how closely suppliers work with couples on their special day, from the transportation drivers (Belle Classic Limousines) to the caterers (Sultan Pepper, Pop Up Party Bars and Kombi Brew), everyone puts in 100% to make the event a pure success.
And when each individual or company puts in that effort, it makes it easier to work and get the right image results for the bride and groom. So I took advantage of the unique idea of food van suppliers and made sure the happy couple were snapped enjoying themselves with the food. Years ago, wedding photography would consist of the usual pre-wedding preparations and ceremony, followed by a photography session on location, and then entry into the reception, however these days the modern bride and groom are catering to their guests and providing finger food and drinks in-between the ceremony and reception.
I have found these are the perfect moments to encapsulate the mingling between bridal party and guests, and with this particular styled wedding shoot being modern and minimalist, the wedding cake, which was created by Cin’s Cupcakes and Cakes, certainly added that final touch. A far outcry from being a classic two to six-tiered white piped fruit cake with bride and groom toppers, this was a red velvet grey and off-white drip cake with industrial silver marbled toppers jutting out in all directions. Despite its circular look, I felt it worked superbly with the sharp industrial angles of the reception tables (Bryan Was Here), chairs (Charming Chairs), and decorations, decorations, as well as the wedding stationery by Isele Creative.
What a marvelous experience it was to work with all these suppliers as well as the model bride and groom to showcase how we all work together to provide the perfect, memorable day for a couple.
Want to create your own dream wedding like this? Perth Ultimate Wedding Giveaway is offering $17,500 in prize money shared between three lucky couples. If you are one of the lucky winners, you can redeem your winnings with any of the suppliers I worked with on this styled shoot, plus others.
Enter here: https://www.perth.weddinggiveaway.com.au/entry-form/
Want to see these up close and personal, and have a chat with me? Come along to the Supplier Showcase on January 24, 2019 at Nedlands Yacht Club, The Esplanade, Nedlands from 5pm to 8.30pm and find everything you need at the one place for your upcoming wedding.
Here is the Facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/343388513132572/
- PUWG: Perth Ultimate Wedding Giveaway https://www.perth.weddinggiveaway.com.au/
- Venue: Nedlands Yacht Club http://www.nyc.org.au/weddings/
- Planner: Gem Wedding Planner https://www.facebook.com/jemweddingplanner/
- Celebrant: Robert Cross Celebrant https://www.facebook.com/robertcrosscelebrant/
- Stylist and Florist: House of Primrose https://www.houseofprimrose.com.au/
- Gown: Theressa Designs http://www.theressadesigns.com.au/
- Suit: Brittons Perth http://www.brittonsformalwear.com.au/
- Hair: Kim Aurelie Bridal https://www.kimaurelie.com/
- Makeup: Black Lash Mua https://blacklashmakeupdesign.com.au/
- Cake: Cins Cupcakes and cakes https://www.cinscupcakesncakes.com/
- Stationery: Isele Creative https://www.iselecreative.com/
- Vehicle: Belle Classic Limousines https://www.belle.net.au/
- Tables: Bryan was here Furniture http://www.bryanwasherefurniture.com.au/
- Chairs: Charming Chairs Perth http://www.charmingchairs.com.au/
- Kombi Bar: Pop up party bars http://www.partybars.com.au/
- Coffee Van: the Kombi Brew https://www.facebook.com/thekombibrew/
- Videography: Cloud Imagery https://www.cloudimagery.com.au/
- Catering: Sultan Pepper Foodtruck http://sultanpepperfoodtruck.com/
- Lighting: JV Event https://www.instagram.com/jv_event_hire/?hl=en
- Bride: Bec Cooper https://www.instagram.com/beccooper__/